Guide to Development Management at Gateshead - page 59

Guide to Development Management at Gateshead
It is the responsibility of those carrying out building work to
ensure that the provisions of the regulations are fully met. The
role of Building Control in enforcing the regulations is solely to
check that they do so. Choose your builder carefully, what is
their reputation? Check completed works, check for appropriate
insurance. Cheapest is not always best.
Building Regulations do not control everything but concentrate
on health and safety, energy conservation, and access to and
use of buildings. Other aspects such as the general quality of
work are not specifically controlled by building control.
Special rules also apply to Listed Buildings and buildings in
Conservation Areas and you are advised to contact the Conservation
Team at Gateshead to get professional advice (see Useful Contacts).
Work that requires building regulation approval includes:
Construction of new buildings, such as dwellings, shops,
offices, factories, and all other major buildings.
Most extensions to buildings, with the exception of
porches or conservatories (see below).
Structural alterations, such as removing a load-bearing wall.
Installation of heating, hot water and air conditioning systems.
Installing additional bathroom fittings
Domestic electrical installations.
Alterations to drainage systems.
Re-roofing (if it is greater than 25% of the roof)
Replacing windows, doors or rooflights.
Underpinning a building
Renovating a thermal element e.g. walls, floors and roofs.
Changing the energy status of a building
Changing the use of a building e.g. barn conversions
The Building Regulations do exempt certain types of buildings
from the need to make an application. These exemptions include:
Detached buildings housing machinery or plant which people
do not visit except for maintenance or repair.
Certain greenhouses and agricultural buildings.
Small detached buildings under 30 sq. metres where no
sleeping accommodation is provided.
Extensions of a building by the addition at ground level (i.e.
on its own foundations) of the following: - Conservatories,
Canopies, Porches, Covered Ways and Car Ports, all with
a floor area not exceeding 30 sq. metres.
Temporary buildings that are not intended to remain in place
for more than 28 days.
Before you carry out any building work to your property, you
need to find out whether you need building regulations
permission and / or planning permission.
You should also be aware that the ‘utility supplies’ e.g. - gas, electric
and water are not covered by building regulations. These are
subject to the regulations applied by the relevant supply companies.
Making an application under the Building
Regulations - which type?
There are two types of application you can choose when making
a Building Regulation submission:
1. Full Plans Application
2. Building Notice Full Plans Application
Full Plans
A Full Plans application may be submitted for any building work,
but must be submitted for buildings to which the Regulatory
Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005 (commonly known as the
'RRO') will apply. The RRO applies to all buildings apart from
single family dwellings and the interior of individual flats.
This type of application allows you to have your plans checked
by our surveyors and approved as complying with the Building
Regulations. This gives you two things:
A set of approved plans to build from and near immunity from
enforcement action if you build in accordance with those plans.
1...,49,50,51,52,53,54,55,56,57,58 60,61,62,63,64,65,66,67,68,69,...76
Powered by FlippingBook