Guide to Development Management at Gateshead - page 43

Guide to Development Management at Gateshead
process according to their appropriateness and relative
importance. The Local Planning Authority has the role of giving
the “weight” to planning issues unless at an appeal where the
Planning Inspectorate would have that role.
Making the decision:
Approximately 90% of planning applications are determined
under powers delegated to the Head of Development and Public
Protection. However, major or controversial developments will
usually be decided by the Planning and Development Committee.
Gateshead Council aims to determine all planning applications
within 8 weeks (13 weeks for major developments and 16
weeks for those requiring an Environmental Assessment).
For delegated powers, the case officer report and recommendation
will first be checked by either a Senior Planner or more usually
one of the Assistant Development Managers. This may involve
changes being made and on some occasions a disagreement
over the recommendation although this is rare given the ability to
discuss issues at one to ones throughout the process. The final
decision notice will be signed off by one of the Assistant
Development Managers but more usually the Development Manager.
For Planning and Development Committee decisions (these are
referred to below) the case officer’s report is a recommendation
to Committee and the final decision is taken by the members of
the Committee. You (or your agent if you have one) will be sent
the decision notice.
For those planning applications approved, there are normally
planning conditions imposed on that consent which restrict or
limit the development, or where details are required to be
submitted sometimes prior to commencement of development
or prior to occupation of a development. There will also be a
start notice so you can inform us in advance when you are
due to start work and we can check compliance with pre
commencement conditions to give you the reassurance that
you are able to start work.
For those planning applications which are refused permission
we will give reasons as to why including the conflict with
planning policy.
After the decision is made:
If an applicant is unhappy with the decision to refuse permission
they can appeal to the Planning Inspectorate within six months of
the date the decision notice was issued (this is reduced to 12
weeks if the refusal relates to an extension to a dwelling).
However in many cases problems with an application can be
resolved through discussions with the case officer. An amended
application (of similar nature and to same scale or smaller) can
be submitted once without charge within a year of the decision
on the original application, commonly called “a free go”.
It may be that you have permission but wish to alter that
permission in some way. If the change is “non material” you
can apply to the Council to consider the very minor change and
we will evaluate the proposal in 28 days. If the change is more
significant or “material” then you will be required to seek
permission for this change by firstly varying the planning
condition on your permission that states development shall be
carried out in accordance with the approved plans and then
submitting the new plans you wish to be considered as a new
application (often called a Section 73 application as this is the
part of the Planning Act that allows this). Both applications for
“material” and “non material” changes will attract a planning fee
the cost of which depends on the application type for amendments.
If you objected to an application that was subsequently approved
there is no third party right of appeal currently within the
planning system.
What other consents may be required?
Conservations Areas
There are currently 22 designated Conservation Areas within
Gateshead. A Conservation Area is defined as an ‘area of special
architectural or historic interest, the character or appearance of
1...,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42 44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51,52,53,...76
Powered by FlippingBook